Thursday, December 17, 2009

Lighting the house - a family affair

I did in fact do what Jennifer predicted two posts ago, although I'm not entirely convinced I had a choice. I did verify that she did not take out additional life insurance policies before creating this honey-do list, and therefore felt all was good to tackle this project. I did succeed in my attempts to increase our family's drain on the power grid, but I also found out a couple of things about hanging lights on the exterior of the house (as I was informed at some point that this was my responsibility).

1) My wife resembles a fainting goat when in fright. While standing on a ladder, 1000' in the air (no exaggeration, I promise), I found that I was my own support in ensuring I would not spend Christmas in a body cast. Jennifer was frozen to the ladder in fright (it was about 50 degrees, don't let her tell you she was cold).

2) Thank goodness for neighbors. My neighbor, recognizing my terrible peril, rushed to my aid to ensure that I would, in fact, live to see the birth of our third child. (at this point, I'm not sure if Jennifer was hyper-ventilating or chasing the boys away from the ladder, but I heard a lot of heavy breathing). I was slightly embarrassed that my neighbor resisted my urge to call him my hero and give him a kiss for saving me...said people would talk or something, I don't know.

3) Sorry to all men on this, as I failed to divert our stereotype, but the third lesson was the importance of reading directions. This came in two waves (because I apparently am thick headed). The first is that it is always a good idea to read the weight limit on older ladders. It is a bad idea to be that high in the air and be told that you exceed the limit by 30 lbs....or 40 depending on who you ask, especially when the ladder is now shaped more like the letter "C". The second is that it is probably a good idea to figure out how your light clips are supposed to fasten to the house before climbing the ladder and leaning out to fasten them. See the part about Jennifer hyper-ventilating.

Either way, all limbs are still attached, the ladder held up (despite my 30 lb excess, which I'm sticking to), and Jennifer has finally opened her eyes long enough to know that I'm no longer in danger of falling. Enjoy the night time photos and remember that Jennifer did risk my life for your viewing pleasure.



Santa and Frosty welcome all who drive by:

No comments: