Wednesday, November 11, 2009

First baby picture :)

Today Trent and I went for the 2nd doctor's appointment. I am 12 weeks and 1 day and we were excited to get to hear the heartbeat (hence the reason Trent took off work to come with me to the appt!) We saw Dr Bennett and he is full of sarcasm and dr humor which works well for us! He was making us laugh and generally cutting up when he told me to hop on the table to listen for the heartbeat. As he is looking, he's telling us some story about I don't know what and I noticed he was having trouble finding the heartbeat. We've had a little practice at this before, so we knew what to listen for. All I was hearing was the slower beat of my own heart and nothing for the baby. He continued to talk while he was trying different areas of my tummy, pushing down REALLY hard and still having no luck. He finally said, sometimes the mom's veins get in the way and we have a little trouble hearing the baby. He continued to listen around (even picking up a radio station, which was kinda weird to hear coming out of my belly!) when he said, "well, I can't find it and you're starting to panic so I'm getting the machine". I'm thinking, "I'm not panicking yet, but definitely on the verge!". He comes in with the ultra sound machine and finds the baby immediately with the little heart beating away at 150 beats per minute. It was so neat to see the little baby fully formed just tiny. He said everything was fine and there was nothing to worry about. It was a little scary at first, but I am so glad Trent was able to come and we were able to actually see the baby instead of just hear it!!

As Dr. Bennett took the picture, he said, "well, here's your little smudge!" I said "well, that's better than a peanut." He said, "yes, you have progressed from a peanut to a smudge!" oh, so funny :)


1 comment:

Mitchell, Blair, and Annie said...

Love your sweet baby pictures! Your baby is already playing hide and seek! So smart! That is awesome that you guys were able to see your little one! I'm so happy for you!!